Japanese Golden week starts today. Which is the longest vacation period of the year in Japan. It starts from the 29th of April to the 5th of May.
What do we expect in Japanese Golden week? Here are some pointers.
1. People mountain people sea (人山人海) = Crowd, crowd crowd.
2. Traffic jams...worse than Malaysian balik kampung season. Expected traffic jam of at least 55km this year.
3. Expensive hotels/air tickets...The price can be 3~4 times more expensive than usual price.
4. Offices will be close for 1 week.
5. People will be asking ...what are you doing this Golden week? So if you have no plan, do plan to answer well so that the other party won't say something like...'Hah? No plans? How come?'
6. Don't expect your last minute plan to be a brilliant one.
3 years ago, we decided impromptu to go to the local zoo for a picnic. Ended up in a 2-hour-traffic jam. What worse, we didn't even get to the front gate of the zoo.
7. Lots of special events will be organized. If you are into partying, Go!
8. No crime or riots. Japan is a safe country.
9. Don't forget to bring omiyage/souvenirs for your colleagues after coming back from your trip...more so if you traveled domestic. Each prefecture in Japan is knows for its own trademark delicacies. Common sense in Japan!
10.Work as usual after the holidays. No 'malas-malas' (lazy) symptom in Japan. Expected to work 120%!
Oh yeah...for your information, while everyone is looking forward to this long vacation, I will be heading to UK for 'WORK' this weekend. And it is serious work!! I have to discuss with the prof there regarding my project. So, I will have to refrain this holiday mood and work twice or trice as hard (my boss warned that to me! No jalan-jalan!). Friends who knew about my rearranged trip all looked at me with kesian face (pity face).
'Owww....why can't they arrange a week later, blah blah blah...', said my colleagues.
'Oww...what is your family going to do without you around...pity your son...' said the secretary.
'Hmm...work is work, when you have to go, you have to go darling...', said my dear hubby.
'Mommy, where are we going this golden week?', was my son's reaction, still not understanding the situation. hahaha.
Whatever the reaction is...Though reluctant, my hubby and I are actually glad that I am going to this overdue trip because it is my responsibility to settle my research problem as soon as possible in order for me to come out with a good publication. Wish me luck!